As winter rolls around, and Plano, Texas homeowners are using more natural gas than other times of the year, carbon monoxide issues can be more prevalent than other times of the year. Here are 4 steps you can take to tackle carbon monoxide leaks in your Plano home.
Step 1: Understand the Dangers
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can cause everything from flu symptoms to even death. If you have appliances in your Plano home that burn off fuel – gas cooktops and stoves, gas water heaters, gas furnaces, space heaters, etc. – then you are at risk of having carbon monoxide leaks in your home.
Step 2: Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors in your Home
The only true way to detect this odorless, colorless gas is by doing a carbon monoxide detector installation. Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and readily available at your local hardware store. At least one carbon monoxide detector should be installed per floor, and having them near your kitchen and bedrooms is a must.
Step 3: Use Prevention Measures
In addition to installing detectors throughout the home, you can prevent Plano carbon monoxide leaks in other ways too:
· Always call an expert to repair appliances that run on natural gas.
· Never use your gas cooktop or oven as a heat source for your home.
· Use charcoal grills and camp stoves outdoors only.
· Make it a rule to never leave your car running in the garage, with or without the garage door open.
If you suspect an issue, call 911 immediately.
Step 4: Schedule Routine Home Inspections
As a good rule of thumb, have the experts at Castle Doctor come out yearly to assess your home for any potential hazards or leaks. Our team at Castle Doctor will evaluate your heater, gas water heater, wood stove, and more. If any Plano carbon monoxide leaks are detected, then we can set up a plan for remedying the issues in a timely and cost efficient manner.
Stay safe this winter and call Castle Doctor to inspect your home for potential carbon monoxide issues or install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home!